Grace Farms is an extraordinary community complex in New Canaan, Connecticut, that cost the nonprofit and tax-exempt Grace Farms Foundation approximately $120 million for the new center and the purchase of 80 acres of some of the region’s most expensive real estate.
The multifunctional Grace Farms, with a spiritual underpinning, opened in October of 2015 and houses a part-time ecumenical chapel, a nature center, a community garden, a library, a gymnasium, a mess hall, an amphitheater, and is a hub for social justice groups. SANAA, a Japanese architecture firm which won the Pritzker Prize, designed this spectacular building. See This Article to learn more.
“The River” is the main building with five separate sections. It winds down a hill a few hundred yards away from the New York border. It has large glass walls that provide a view of meadows and forests, and the covered roof turns and twists along with the outside landscape.
Sharon Prince is the Grace Farms Foundation’s Chair and President. She spearheaded the vision for the private operating foundation which was established in 2009 with a mission to enhance lives through engaging with nature, community, arts, faith, and justice. It is a new type of public space shared by individuals and not-for-profit organizations.
Grace Farms has numerous awards and accolades for its contributions including the following:
- Sharon Prince was appointed to the 2018 AIA Institute Honor Awards for Architecture Jury.
- Grace Farms received the AIA National 2017 Architecture Honor Award.
- The 2016 Innovation by Design Award for Social Good from the Fast Company
- The Illinois Institute of Technology’s Mies Crown Hall Americas Prize for participating in the symposium, Reimagining the Metropolis
- Sharon Prince co-hosted a convening in 2016 with the United Nations University entitled Fighting Human Trafficking in Conflict resulting in a published report to the United Nations Security Council and the UN Resolution 2331
- Serving on the Board of Next Generation Nepal, which is a charity dedicated to reuniting victims of child exploitation with their families.
More about Sharon on https://www.pentagram.com/work/grace-farms/story